Thursday, October 16, 2008

Get Rid of Panic Attacks Forever

Panic attacks can take control of your life to the point that you are unable to function in your normal day-to-day life. There is a lot of information available to sufferers on the internet about how to get rid of panic attacks. Generally, this condition is treated through the use of anxiety medication, cognitive therapy, herbal supplements or self-help anxiety and panic attack programs.

Here are some tips to help you understand what to do and not to do while you are experiencing the onset of a panic attack:

1) Accept Your Anxious Feelings

As tempting as it is to try and block out the anxiety in an attempt to get rid of it, this will only serve to increase your overall anxiety level by trying to avoid it. Do not try to avoid or ignore these initial feelings. Rate your anxiety level and try to focus on the following thoughts:

-"Being anxious is okay and it is okay for me to feel that I am not in control"
-"I will accept my anxious feelings and not try to fight them"
-"I can accept this anxiety and continue with what I am doing"

2) Don't Anticipate

Try not to allow yourself to go into "what-if" thinking. If you are able to force yourself to stay in the now, your anxiety level will decrease and help you to ward off going into a full blown panic attack. Keep these in mind to lower your anxiety level:

-"Keep your feet on the floor"
-"I'll deal with it when the time comes"
-"Stay in the here-and-now"

3) Don't Add a Second Fear

The second fear is the feeling that is attached to your anxiety. This includes the fear of dying,fainting,going crazy,losing control and embarrassing yourself. If you feel these coming on, try the following:

-"I have had these feelings before and the worst did not happen"
-"I am not going to die,faint,lose control - this is just my anxiety"
-"This is making me very uncomfortable, but it is not dangerous and I will not die from it"

Here is another helpful website with additional information to get rid of panic attacks.

No comments: